Tuesday, November 17, 2015

How many types of sweet potatoes?


When one needs to clear the head, there is really nothing better than to go on a walk-a-bout.  Now this phrase may be a bit old-fashioned (and foreign for that matter - it is an Australian saying), but it really is true.

On Saturday morning, I looked about my apartment, took a deep breath and said to myself, "Self, you cannot put this off any longer."  The crustiness in the kitchen and rather unspeakable stuff in the bathroom needed to be eliminated.  So... I spent a rather long, lonely day cleaning up the place.  To treat myself after the day of cleaning, I watched one of my favorite movies - Blazing Saddles.

That brings me to Sunday.  I got up and decided that I just needed to get out.  But, where?  That is where Blazing Saddles comes into play.  The name of the town in the movie is Rock Ridge.  Could there be a Rock Ridge, California?  Yup.

As I pulled up and parked in Rockridge, the first thing I see is The Sock Hop which I know would tickle my daughter to no end.  A sock store.  That is one of the most wonderful things about this area.  The towns are littered with shops like these.  There is an almost abhorrence to the chain stores.

A bit more wandering had me back in Berkeley and at the Stained Glass Garden.  This is in a really wonderful part of Berkeley on fourth street.  This shop is fascinating with mosaic and stained glass supplies.

Lunch was at Vik's Chaat & Marketplace.  This Indian restaurant is nestled in (what looks like on the outside) a rather warehouse looking building but the food is really good.

Now after lunch, I was driving about Berkeley when I spied a grocery with produce spilling out the front entrance.  I cannot explain why, but this sight piqued my interest so I parked the car and ventured inside.  The name of the place is The Berkeley Bowl.  To be perfectly frank, dear readers, I have NEVER seen so much produce.  I mean there were four different types of sweet potatoes all piled together.  Name a type of vegetable or green and they had it in multiple varieties.  Of course, I had to buy a couple of things...

So overall, this was just what the doctor ordered.  Beautiful scenery, eclectic visuals, and (of course) a beautiful fall day to enjoy it all.



No comments:

Post a Comment